5 Tips to Picking the Perfect Wallpaper
After decreasing in popularity during the latter part of the 20th century, the use of wallpaper is back in style, and a key trend in the 2020s.
Whatever your taste, there are great wallpaper patterns available for any room in your home. From stylish floral wall murals to chic geometric designs, the wallpaper comeback is real and here to stay.
We know how important it is to personalize your home as well as choose home decor that is both aesthetic and durable. A wallpaper is not only a backdrop but brings charm and personality to your rooms.
Here are our 5 tips on how to pick the perfect wallpaper for you.
Choose the right wallpaper texture. Our wall coverings and wall murals are available as either a subtle fine-grained texture finish or a smooth velvet matte.
- A textured wallpaper has a three-dimensional look to it and will add some depth to the appearance of your room. This raised type of tactile surface is bold and dimensional, and can also mask any imperfections such as holes or cracks in your walls.
- For a more sleek and elegant look to your room, choose a wallpaper with a smooth matte finish. This will add warmth and charm to your room, without detracting too much from your furnishings.
Pick a wallpaper pattern that fits your room. With so many wallpaper designs to choose from, it is important that you pick a style that compliments the style of your room.
- Floral designs with vivid colours will add visual excitement to a room without a lot of furnishings. These large scale blooms will leave a memorable impression upon your guests. A floral pattern can really spruce up the look of a small space such as your laundry room, add a tasteful flair to your dining room with hardwood floors, or give a sense of romance without overpowering the decor of your bedroom.
- Wallpaper with a geometric design can be used when you really want it to be the focal point of your room. With a combination of intriguing shapes and patterns, geometric designs like pop-art inspired wallpaper add instant style. This is best if you want to keep the other room decor and furnishings simple, like in an office space or bathroom. Geometric wallpaper gives a lasting impression on continuous space and will bring both a sophisticated and contemporary look to your room.
- An artistic wallcovering is great for a space that needs a beautiful yet classy sense of flair. Choose an original design that adds attention and intimacy to a room without artworks hanging on the walls. It looks great in a kid’s bedroom and can perfectly complement the appliances and countertops in your kitchen.
Take into account the size and layout of your room. A deciding factor when picking the perfect wallpaper should be the size of your room and how it is laid out.
Some easy to understand expert tips are to use wallpaper with larger patterns that make a bold statement in larger rooms and choose smaller patterns that won’t overpower the intimate space in a smaller space.
Take into account how much natural light your room receives. A room that gets a lot of sunlight may not need a wallpaper with vivid patterns, whereas a room with only interior lighting can feel more lively with a bold wallpaper design.
Choose the right wallpaper colours for your space. Picking the right wallpaper can be daunting when it comes to finding colours that perfectly complement your room’s layout and furnishings. The choice ultimately rests entirely on your own personal tastes and preferences. It is a good rule of thumb that your wallpaper colours should be a good match with your furniture, flooring, and window decor. You can get a wonderful cascade of colour by selecting a wallpaper that has the same main colour as the rest of the space, but a few shades lighter. Our guide to colour matching is here.
Darker colours tend to make a room feel smaller and more intimate. They are best suited to give a cosy feel in large, open spaces. Dark colours also have the most dramatic impact on a room where you want the wallpaper to be the centre of attention.
Lighter coloured wallpaper can help make a smaller room feel more spacious, and can really up your game in a space that has less light. For these rooms choose warmer colours like red, orange, yellow, or pink. Muted colours like charcoal, white, and grey will create a relaxing environment in a space like your bedroom or bathroom. Bright and vivid colours will make a space feel livelier like in a dining room or kids playroom.
Consider other creative ideas and uses for your wallpaper. When designing a room, there are some unique and delightful ways that you can use wallpaper other than just covering all of your walls.
- Wallpaper a headboard. For a bedroom with painted walls, wallpapering a headboard can transform the entire look and feel of your most personal and intimate space.
- Feature just one wall. A bold wallpaper pattern can be a dramatic addition to just one wall in a space such as the wall behind the sofa in your living room or behind the bed in your bedroom.
- Bring attention to the ceiling. Wallpaper is not just for walls! Choosing the right pattern and texture to wallpaper your ceiling can change the entire look and add a personal touch to any space.
- Use wallpaper on closet doors, inside drawers, and on bookshelves. Using wallpaper as a liner will give a bold and stylish change to otherwise dull spaces throughout your home.
- Cover a tabletop with wallpaper. For a room with a plain look and modest decor, covering a table with wallpaper can be both chic and trendy.
Wallpaper has been growing & growing in popularity with murals, florals, geometrics & more demanding attention. I hope our 5 tips for picking the perfect wallpaper for your home has helped you along the (papering & pasting) path!
By Louisa – (loves a bold feature wall and some dark & moody florals)
Herringbone Flooring – Parquet stripes for your special spaces!